Sunday, March 2, 2008

One Last Time

Hey all,

It's been a while since I sent out an update, and with this little adventure beginning to come to an end, it's probably best to send one more. The month really has flown by and I'd have to say that personally and professionally, this has been an exceptional experience. I definitely feel lucky and appreciate the opportunity that IMV gave me. The people here at this office are great and fun to work with. Not only that, but I've been able to try some new stuff. Hell, I even learned, well... a lot.

In the last few weeks, myself and my partner in crime have continued on our pace to see as much as we can stand. This weekend was no exception as we checked out the newest wonder of the modern world: Dubai. I don't think I can eloquently describe the differences between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, but it certainly helped me get a better cross section of the United Arab Emirates. And yes, I saw the indoor ski hill at the mall.

Anyways, to wrap up my last e-mail, I'll leave you with a few general observations of the UAE:

1.) Hotels and malls seem to be the epicenters for activity. All the pubs/bars/clubs/nice restaurants are at hotels in Abu Dhabi. Same for Dubai, except all of the above are also at malls. Malls here are generally completely over the top, which is interesting for a little while, I suppose. I think if I were here with a buddy, less time would be spent in them.

2.) Unlike their counterparts in Calgary, taxis here actually seem to want your business. I can recall a few nights back home literally chasing after cabs, or getting in a cab only to be told that he didn't want to drive me anywhere outside of downtown. Over here, we've had taxis stop in the right lane of a busy roadway to give us a ride. Oh yeah, it's 1/3 the price and they enjoy the thrill of going 120 kph.

3.) They use A4 paper here, which is deceptively similar in size to 8.5 x 11". I've gotten a lot of exercise going to the printer (down two flights of stairs) to re-print excentric-looking reports. But, I digress.

4.) There is apparently in very small punk rock/metal scene in Dubai with the odd show in Abu Dhabi as well. Wish I could have seen one! Despite the heavy censorship laws here, it is still possible to buy most of the CDs you would want. I didn't see any Cannibal Corpse or Mayhem, but the metal section at the Virgin Megastore at the Mall of Emirates was pretty impressive. My favorite was the Ozzy CD in Abu Dhabi that had the horizontal section of the cross blacked out with permanent marker.

5.) Emirati value their cellphones (or mobiles, as the world outside of North America calls them). It's hard to walk on the street without being run over by a mobile store. They run rampant here, and my cheap little phone is apparently a poor choice according to the local standards. Sorry, but I don't feel like spending $500 on something that will allow people to call me with work-related questions.

But, I digress. There are a few pics up and see you work-type people on the 17th.

Curtis

No comments: